Milk Kefir Benefits
Kefir is a creamy, drinkable yogurt style fermented milk that tastes something like buttermilk . It’s full of naturally occurring bacteria and yeast living in symbiosis as the result of the fermentation process. Kefir is loaded with vitamins, minerals and easily digested protein. It can even be consumed by the lactose intolerant because the yeast and bacteria provide the enzyme lactase, an enzyme which consumes most of the lactose left after the culturing process.The nutritional composition of kefir varies according to the milk composition, the microbiological composition of the grains used, the time/temperature of fermentation and storage conditions.
A cup of lowfat plain kefir has 110 calories and contains a whopping 11 grams of protein, 12 grams of carbohydrates and just two grams of fat. Here are some of the benefits of drinking Kefir :
Lactose Intolerant –
- If you’re one of the 30 to 50 million People who struggle with lactose intolerance, kefir may be a good option for you. The fermentation process removes most of the irritating lactose from the milk
- Friendly bacteria present in Kefir reduces flatulence, promote motility of the bowels and offer relief to upset stomachs. And the benefits continue well after you’ve polished off a serving. The bacteria and yeast in kefir — unlike those in yogurt — can actually colonize your gastrointestinal tract and stay there for a long period of time.
Nourishing food :
- Because kefir is a balanced and nourishing food, it has been used to help patients suffering from AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, and cancer. It has a tranquilizing effect on the nervous system and is beneficial for people with sleep disorders, depression and ADHD.
Food Cravings :
- It also helps reduce food cravings by allowing the body to feel more nourished and balanced.
Rich Source of Minerals and Vitamins
- Kefir has many other nutritive features in addition to bacteria and yeast. It is loaded with minerals and essential amino acids. Its protein is partially digested in the fermentation process making it easily utilized by the body. Kefir contains significant amounts of tryptophan, the amino acid that promotes relaxation and sleep, making it a good choice for a nightcap. It is also rich in vitamin B-12, vitamin K and biotin.
Anti Oxidant & Anti Bacterial
- Regular consumption of kefir has been associated with improved digestion and tolerance to lactose, antibacterial effect, hypocholesterolaemic effect, control of plasma glucose, anti-hypertensive effect, anti-inflammatory effect, antioxidant activity, anti-carcinogenic activity, anti-allergenic activity and healing effects.